Saturday, August 15, 2009

Road Trip!












Earlier this week I noticed this on Flavorpill: “Grain Edit looks backward for future design”. At From the Source we’ve been “looking backward” too, working on new designs that link vintage and reclaimed elements with modern forms. I mused about this. Whether art, music or design, in any medium it’s easier to recreate than to create; to look to the past rather than invent the future. Was I taking the easy road, or worse, being intellectually lazy?

Either way, spending a Saturday in front of the computer wasn’t offering sparks of inspiration. I needed something richer, more tactile. Plus, it was a beautiful day, so why not leave the desk, and explore. I grabbed the camera and a water bottle and headed to Recycling the Past, an architectural salvage yard I’d been meaning to visit. Mapquest made it look easy, so I set off down the coast…along with several thousand determined beach goers…

Finally made it to the salvage yard!
Hmm, could this old cart inspire a new chaise lounge?
For the chair, I'd soften the angles and give it reclaimed teak slats.

It felt invigorating to actually handle the forms and observe the intricate details, the nuances of the curves… more fun than Sketch-up on a hot summer day!








Intriguing shelving, looks like an old erector set!

Scraps and debris gave way to treasures beyond my budget…
but I left with a wealth of pictures and ideas to share with the design team.













We'll be working these inspirations into a new collection, so be on the lookout!

No comments:

Post a Comment